Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 14/02/2017 14:52, Neil via list wrote:
> On 14/02/17 13:13, Jaan JÃnesmÃe via list wrote:
>> On 14 February 2017 at 14:20:41, Gordon Henderson via list
>> (list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL away, but if you want something that just works for the ordinary
>>> user
>>> then you can not better it. You also get what you pay for. My wife and
>>> her
>>> sister (both degree educated and very clever people in their own fields)
>>> moved from Linux and Win respectively to Mac book pro's (and iPhones)
>>> and
>>> overnight all support issues just vanished. Even hardware wise, when
>>> there
>>> was a fault, it was fixed on the spot, or overnight in one case when it
>>> needed a new display.
>>
>> I can not agree more. I have been an almost full-time mac user now for 7
>> years and to be honest, life is different.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jaan JÃnesmÃe
>>

> Oh well, each to his own. I know that they work well, but the difference
> in price is too much for me. Plus, you have to do everything their way,
> even more so than Windows. I will never consider a mac.
>
> Neil

WORLDS APART!!!
The suggestion 'just get a Mac' is from a rarefied world of the non-poor
and cash available culture.
Sorry , this is one suggestion I cannot thole.
I well understand Neil's comment.

I teach Windows OSs and Linux OSs in one of the most deprived areas in
the UK. Changing folk to Linux on old  (pre 2002 circa machines) to keep
them safe,  when their Windows OSs are not supported.
These folk are mostly in 70s and 80s (one nearly 90) who cannot afford
to 'get a Mac'. Indeed they mostly use computers to keep in touch with
family and friends in distant places so no local family support, cannot
afford new computers or indeed get them 'repaired'  at local computer shop.

Changing them to Linux to be safe on their existing machines is a
delight and their use of email / and browsing safely thereafter ( as you
see the very visible rewards, when they get in touch with old school
friends)
--
regards
Eion MacDonald