Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017, Neil via list wrote:

On 13/02/17 15:44, Gordon Henderson via list wrote:

I've taught people "Linux" in the past. Even been paid for it.

Here's the issues: Which Linux?

There are many. e.g. Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE and 1000's of
derivatives.

Then there's the window manager. Or even a Desktop Environment.

Use the GUI (which GUI, see above), or the command-line (which shell,
there are as many as there are GUIs)

These days I tell people (who want something other than MS Winows) to
get a life and buy a Mac.

Gordon

I LOL too. I could never tell people to get a Mac. One because they are way too expensive and two because I have never used one so I won't advise about something about which I know nothing.

But thanks for the laugh,

LOL away, but if you want something that just works for the ordinary user then you can not better it. You also get what you pay for. My wife and her sister (both degree educated and very clever people in their own fields) moved from Linux and Win respectively to Mac book pro's (and iPhones) and overnight all support issues just vanished. Even hardware wise, when there was a fault, it was fixed on the spot, or overnight in one case when it needed a new display.

Sure - you get what you pay for, but for the ordinary person who needs an officy type device, not for programming, geek development, etc. but for daily email, document writing, web stuff, for a device expected to last up to 5 years I think its money well spent.

Gordon