Re: [LUG] New computer problem

On 05/05/16 18:47, M. J. Everitt wrote:

I will have a go at all this after some research and reading. As for
trying other distros, well perhaps. Let's get the BIOS sorted first.

I will now change the password for login etc.

Thanks

Neil

Don't be too afraid .. the bonus of 'playing' with a new system, is you
really don't have a lot to lose, and even if you do, you can use the
white lie of "I didn't know it would do that" with supplier and/or
support !! :]

Linux Mint comes recommended from a friend of mine, although he uses the
Mate desktop iirc, but xfce is good and so is the other popular desktop
that comes packaged as standard.

I've become a somewhat die-hard fan of Gentoo, but being a rolling,
source-based distro, you're looking at something VERY different to the
aged Debian or the flashy Ubuntu out-of-the-box experience. Better to
become familiar with the internals of linux with a desktop OS before you
go hard-core with something like Gentoo or Slackware, for example. Both
are very customisable though!

Finally, I'll just add a +1 for 'mr meowski' - some very good advice
there too!

This is a new system but it is my main one now. I still have my laptop which is working well, but all my work is now on this desktop.

I would like to look at some other distros, particularly Mint, but so far I have failed to get up the screen where I can choose which login device to use. On the laptop that worked just fine.

I am not very knowledgeable about changing things on the BIOS/UEFI so I am still researching before I try anything. I definitely don't want to mess up this new computer.

Neil