Re: [LUG] New computer problem

On 04/05/16 23:35, mr meowski wrote:

Ok, it's a really new Asrock/Skylake system then - there are known
issues with Skylake graphics and indeed Skylake in general under Linux
currently, you may be tripping them.

Asrock have a new UEFI image 2.90 that you should probably install as it
fixes the "Skylake freezing under complex workloads" bug - be warned
that the "fix" also removes at Intel's behest the non-K overclocking
features of your system.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Is that the latest kernel available for 16.04? Newer kernels fix most of
the skylake-related IGP issues, not sure if *buntu have ported them in
yet from upstream although I thought they would have for the big LTS
release last month, which you're running.

Next thing is to check your distro is fully up to date, check the
software centre or synaptic or whatever to see if there are restricted
drivers available (there should be a CPU microcode update at least) and
install any of them. Finally reboot and check:

dmesg
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Report back.

Have you tried just booting a different live system/installer to check
that yet? You just need to find the hotkey to enter the boot menu during
POST, select your thumb drive and off you go. I'd do that before
anything else to be honest.

Cheers

Today I am using the computer and the problem has just gone away. For some reason all is well.

I will look carefully at what you have said above. To be honest I was considering going to Mint Rosa Xfce version which has had some very good reviews. Unfortunately I can't get to either the BIOS or the login choices screen when I start. I am not sure which keys to use for a start. The people who built it for me tell me that the F11 key is the one to use, but it does not do anything. Is there any way to check which key is the right one?

I will have another word with the company concerned to see what is going on. I do want to be able to get at both the above and the BIOS screen.

Neil