Re: [LUG] New computer problem

On 04/05/16 23:00, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It was already installed. Here is the output.
>
> System:    Host: neil-desktop Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
> Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
>            Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
> Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: Z170 Extreme4 Bios: American Megatrends
> v: P2.80 date: 01/26/2016
> CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
>            clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 1256 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 799 MHz
> 4: 799 MHz
> Graphics:  Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
>            Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded:
> fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@xxxxxxx
>            GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
> GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
> Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
> Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.0-21-generic
> Network:   Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e
>            IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
> d0:50:99:7e:2a:f0
> Drives:    HDD Total Size: 240.1GB (9.9% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: OCZ
> size: 240.1GB
> Partition: ID-1: / size: 205G used: 7.2G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
>            ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.84GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev:
> /dev/sda5
> RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
> Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0C mobo: N/A
>            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
> Info:      Processes: 227 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 507.7/15734.6MB Client:
> Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
> neil@neil-desktop:~$

Ok, it's a really new Asrock/Skylake system then - there are known
issues with Skylake graphics and indeed Skylake in general under Linux
currently, you may be tripping them.

Asrock have a new UEFI image 2.90 that you should probably install as it
fixes the "Skylake freezing under complex workloads" bug - be warned
that the "fix" also removes at Intel's behest the non-K overclocking
features of your system.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Is that the latest kernel available for 16.04? Newer kernels fix most of
the skylake-related IGP issues, not sure if *buntu have ported them in
yet from upstream although I thought they would have for the big LTS
release last month, which you're running.

Next thing is to check your distro is fully up to date, check the
software centre or synaptic or whatever to see if there are restricted
drivers available (there should be a CPU microcode update at least) and
install any of them. Finally reboot and check:

dmesg
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Report back.

Have you tried just booting a different live system/installer to check
that yet? You just need to find the hotkey to enter the boot menu during
POST, select your thumb drive and off you go. I'd do that before
anything else to be honest.

Cheers