Re: [LUG] New computer problem

On 05/05/16 18:29, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 05/05/16 16:53, mr meowski wrote:
>>
>> Strangely, between yesterday and today Asrock released another UEFI
>> upgrade for your board, version 3.20:
>>
>> http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/index.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS
>>

>> According to the manual* for your board, F2 or DEL during POST will
>> access the UEFI setup screen, which is the modern equivalent of the BIOS
>> you're used to. You may well need to change some options in there for
>> things to work as you expect:
>>
> I have already checked with the del key and that works.
>
>> Disable Secure Boot
>> Tweak CSM settings
>> Enable boot from USB
>> Disable Fast Boot
>> Disable Boot Logo
>>

> Secure boot is already disabled. Whether it will stay that way after
> the upgrade I don't know.
>
>> Don't forget that upgrading the UEFI - which you really should do - will
>> reset everything to defaults, so you probably want to upgrade first
>> before setting up everything nicely.
>>
> I have had a look at the site above, and it looks scary. I will study
> it some more before I risk any changes.
>
>  Different manufacturers choose different hotkeys for BIOS/boot menus
>> annoyingly but your best bet is F8 - failing that, once you've disabled
>> fast boot and the boot splash logo the system will actually show you
>> during bootup for a second or two which keys to mash for UEFI or boot
>> menu. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but one almost gets the impression
>> these days that tinkering beneath the covers is being made increasingly
>> difficult for those that want to...
>>
>> That should just about cover you I think - whilst the system is brand
>> new and fresh, I'd definitely experiment with throwing a few different
>> distros on there for testing: I mean, why not? Good old fashioned Debian
>> is very nice these days and there's always a quick trip outside Linux if
>> you're really feeling brave: GhostBSD has matured nicely and now has ZFS
>> installs, mate/xfce desktop environments and a nice polish if you fancy
>> trying something different without having to fight arcane BSD style text
>> installers.
>>
>> Just type "passwd" in a shell to change your password - enter the old
>> one once, and your new one twice and that's it. You *definitely* want to
>> change it as you didn't do the original install.
>>
>> Cheers - you should be able to start having fun with the new PC now!
>>
>> * ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Z170%20Extreme4.pdf
>>
> I will have a go at all this after some research and reading. As for
> trying other distros, well perhaps. Let's get the BIOS sorted first.
>
> I will now change the password for login etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Don't be too afraid .. the bonus of 'playing' with a new system, is you
really don't have a lot to lose, and even if you do, you can use the
white lie of "I didn't know it would do that" with supplier and/or
support !! :]

Linux Mint comes recommended from a friend of mine, although he uses the
Mate desktop iirc, but xfce is good and so is the other popular desktop
that comes packaged as standard.

I've become a somewhat die-hard fan of Gentoo, but being a rolling,
source-based distro, you're looking at something VERY different to the
aged Debian or the flashy Ubuntu out-of-the-box experience. Better to
become familiar with the internals of linux with a desktop OS before you
go hard-core with something like Gentoo or Slackware, for example. Both
are very customisable though!

Finally, I'll just add a +1 for 'mr meowski' - some very good advice
there too!