[LUG] New computer problem

Just set up my new computer. Had a bit of playing around of course. Just two problems so far.

The screen goes blank every minute or so, stays blank for a few seconds and then opens up to where it was before. I have disabled the screen saver, so where do I look next?

Desktop computer. Xubuntu 16.04

Second, I would like to be able to log in from a USB stick or some such. However when I put a stick in place, and then restart, I canât get anything to show on the screen. It just remains blank. However it will read from a USB stick when I am using it to store some files.

While I have been writing this the screen has blanked out about 10 times.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Neil