Re: [LUG] New computer problem

On 05/05/16 08:01, barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Today I am using the computer and the problem has just gone away. For
> some reason all is well.
>
> I will look carefully at what you have said above. To be honest I was
> considering going to Mint Rosa Xfce version which has had some very good
> reviews. Unfortunately I can't get to either the BIOS or the login
> choices screen when I start. I am not sure which keys to use for a
> start. The people who built it for me tell me that the F11 key is the
> one to use, but it does not do anything. Is there any way to check which
> key is the right one?
>
> I will have another word with the company concerned to see what is going
> on. I do want to be able to get at both the above and the BIOS screen.

Strangely, between yesterday and today Asrock released another UEFI
upgrade for your board, version 3.20:

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/index.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS

According to the manual* for your board, F2 or DEL during POST will
access the UEFI setup screen, which is the modern equivalent of the BIOS
you're used to. You may well need to change some options in there for
things to work as you expect:

Disable Secure Boot
Tweak CSM settings
Enable boot from USB
Disable Fast Boot
Disable Boot Logo

Don't forget that upgrading the UEFI - which you really should do - will
reset everything to defaults, so you probably want to upgrade first
before setting up everything nicely.

Different manufacturers choose different hotkeys for BIOS/boot menus
annoyingly but your best bet is F8 - failing that, once you've disabled
fast boot and the boot splash logo the system will actually show you
during bootup for a second or two which keys to mash for UEFI or boot
menu. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but one almost gets the impression
these days that tinkering beneath the covers is being made increasingly
difficult for those that want to...

That should just about cover you I think - whilst the system is brand
new and fresh, I'd definitely experiment with throwing a few different
distros on there for testing: I mean, why not? Good old fashioned Debian
is very nice these days and there's always a quick trip outside Linux if
you're really feeling brave: GhostBSD has matured nicely and now has ZFS
installs, mate/xfce desktop environments and a nice polish if you fancy
trying something different without having to fight arcane BSD style text
installers.

Just type "passwd" in a shell to change your password - enter the old
one once, and your new one twice and that's it. You *definitely* want to
change it as you didn't do the original install.

Cheers - you should be able to start having fun with the new PC now!

* ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Z170%20Extreme4.pdf