[LUG] Usability rant was Re: Firefox tabs

On 25/07/14 14:38, bad apple wrote:

> Windows? But probably not, as MS at least listen to giant corporations
> and big enterprise partners/resellers, and even the general public if
> they make enough of a fuss (witness the return of the start menu in win9
> and the taming of TIFKAM).

In all fairness even magazines were prompted to run usability tests of
TIFKAM and it failed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/26/civilians_test_windows_8/

I know you got upset with it was mentioned here, but when faced to hack
on it, I poked it to be a bit more sane (e.g. not display the home page
I never ever use, Windows took a dislike to something a short while
later, and have since had to have my profile, and then the whole install
replaced, and I haven't poked it again because life is too short to be
fixing broken defaults repeatedly (Bad enough it seems to forget the
clearly expressed preference for a GB Locale settings EVERY TIME I
login, although why the system default is US is another question
entirely). We've just put in a change to put an Ubuntu box in we can use
instead.

> So, Mac OS X then. Because Apple listen to absolutely nobody, ever.

Don't even get me started. On the other hand Ubuntu have reimplemented
the system preference experience for Mac OSX in Ubuntu, and done a far
better job. Mostly by not changing as much from the original X and Unix,
and not introducing totally messed up components like the "File Open
Dialog" or "Finder". Apple do a lot of things right, but design of the
UI they don't have a clue, and they use to be so good. They also need to
fix the lame delegations on nserver5 ;)

But most annoying of all with Apple is their own keyboard, really? It
doesn't fix ANY of the issues with PC 105 International keyboards (Caps
Locks), introduced its own issues ("#" anyone, got hash, okay try it
with Microsoft's RDP, and all the US style mapping for '~|"@'), and
locking the screen doesn't mean I've unplugged my USB PC 105 keyboard
(Okay probably not Apple's fault that one, just my failed workaround for
their keyboard weirdness).

This combination of proprietary-mess had me cutting and pasting "#" the
other day to comment some code, because I couldn't persuade the remote
Linux device at the far end that I was pressing the right magic key
combination at my end. It was like the 1990s and programming the Met
Office Cray from IBM terminals without square brackets on the keyboards,
you'd be amazed how bad some of the Bourne/Korn shell scripts were if
you make typing "[" or "]" require people to remember the EBCDIC hex
codes and how to enter them. Eventually we ran emulators on the PCs and
that sorted the weird IBM keyboards from the year dot. We have a similar
plan to make it GNU/Linux all the way through.