Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On 25/07/14 19:33, bad apple wrote:
Somewhat agree - I update Firefox literally every day, sometimes several
times, so I'm in a good position to be watching the changes at the code
level. None of the Firefox features are literally copied from Chrome and
I have no idea why everyone fixates on this: sure, quite a lot of the
look and feel seem to be copying Chrome to a certain extent, but the
underlying code? Not even close.
I mean from a UI point of view. Firefox seems to bring its UI inline with the changes that Chromium/Chrome make. I use those interchangeably here as I assume (and hope!) everyone on this list uses Chromium and not Chrome.

IE and Safari don't run on Linux so its all I have to compare - I haven't used them except older versions for testing purposes. I just assume Safari has similarities to Chromium.

On 25/07/14 19:33, bad apple wrote:
The one thing still going for Firefox is its development platform and
> extensions. It is far superior in that regard it is just a shame about
> the browser itself.
Totally disagree. Still the best browser in existence by almost any
metric. You're all welcome to go back to Safari, Chrome and Internet
Explorer any time you like.

Well I did say it was 'far superior' in the extension department. Again my dismay is with the constant Firefox UI changes and not 'the browser itself' as I mentioned earlier.

On 25/07/14 19:36, Simon Avery wrote:
On 25 July 2014 18:39, Gibbs <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 25/07/14 16:31, Simon Avery wrote:
And... A silly thing. But early last year, Sainsbury's online shopping stopped working with Firefox when FF silently dropped connections on pages which were a mixture of http and https.

Various versions of Webkit also behave oddly when mixed content is used. In truth its a development issue and Sainsbury's should have fixed it.

I don't disagree, but the fact remains that I had to consciously remember not to use my default browser when using a site I want to.

It was blocking insecure content on a secure connection which makes perfect sense. Mozilla pushes a lot of good practices in these sort of departments.

On 25/07/14 19:33, bad apple wrote:
Really, really not understanding all the hate here.
Its not really hate just annoyance that Firefox thinks it needs to keep up with Chrome in the UI department. That is the impression I get anyway - I could be completely wrong.

- Where did my addon bar suddenly disappear too?
- Why can't I disable _javascript_ via the preferences. about:config is great but can I really expect my nan to do that?
- The menu has moved from the right, to the top left to an icon to the right in a couple of years
- Tabs above, tabs below, tabs square - rounded etc

Compare this to Chrome. Chrome has been pretty much the same on the 'face' of it with subtle changes as it has gone along.

On 25/07/14 19:33, bad apple wrote:
Still the best browser in existence by almost any
metric. You're all welcome to go back to Safari, Chrome and Internet
Explorer any time you like.

As a web developer I agree - although Chromium is up there too. Everything else is an annoyance :)