Re: [LUG] Electrical storm, recommendations for a printer/scanner

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 01:17:07 +0000
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Obviously I've not been living out in the wilds, with one cable strung
>over land for miles from the nearest substation (I'm guessing Henry's is
>more like that), but none of the reviews I've seen have made any
>substantive effort to discuss risk v benefit.

IDK what work they've done regarding risk/benefit, but the IEE now
stipulate that all new electrical installations(1) supplied by overhead
cabling need surge suppression at the consumer unit.  So, if you have,
or buy, a property that gets it's supply fed underground, you don't need
the suppression gear.

As has been said elsewhere, this kit _may_ help save most gear, but
anything that's also connected to the telephone lines is doubly damned.

(1) This includes, but is not limited to, new built properties, rewires
and consumer unit replacements.

--
 Regards  _
It's becoming an obsession