[LUG] Electrical storm, recommendations for a printer/scanner

My printer (Brother MFC 7820N) is connected to my router (Vigor 2820N) and
a telephone line for fax

Yesterday in the electrical storm I saw two white flashes from my printer
(Brother MFC7820N).

This morning I cannot ping to it and on checking the onboard diagnostics
"Link status, Link Down" The printer will however continue to photocopy

I cannot connect anything to the port on the router

I think one of the ports on my router is also down

Bright ideas requested on

1)  How I can check the extent of the damage
2)  On the assumption that a surge due to the electrical storm blew the
    network card via the phone line
    -   What system can I use to protect the phone line from future
        problems
    -   Any idea how I can find a replacement network card?
3)  Any suggestions for a Debian compatible scanner / printer. Last time I
    saw the list a lot of people were happy with Epson. Samsung seems to
    have systems available

PS Happy New Year

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately