Re: [LUG] Electrical storm, recommendations for a printer/scanner

> On 5 Jan 2014, at 12:28, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I haven't had practical experience with strikes so far (touch wood), but are you
> saying that
> those power strips advertised as surge protective don't do much in
> practise?

They provide protection against surges. They'll stop kits rebooting from induced
currents (although most kit will do that fine on its own), but the currents involved
in direct lightening strikes are immense. E.g. Will happily arc a few centimeters if
it needs to do so to destroy your lovely electronics.

The transformer for our village has proven robust against nearby lightning strikes
to over head power lines, in that spread over 500 homes what gets through, if
anything, hasn't blown any fuses in ours (you get a 30 seconds power cut each time).
But I doubt less meaty kit will survive closer strikes.

I know they had to schedule maintenance after one such strike, so presumably even
shed sized transformers take a serious battering and the strike wasn't in the
immediate vicinity of the transformer (fortunately as it is next to the primary
school).