Re: [LUG] Electrical storm, recommendations for a printer/scanner

>> 2)  On the assumption that a surge due to the electrical storm blew the
>>   network card via the phone line
>>   -   What system can I use to protect the phone line from future
>>       problems
>
> Unplug everything - is the solution employed by friends of mine on Dartmoor...

I had a read around.

When I was at the Met Office I read some research about lightning and
electromagnetic media, at the time the question was how safe are back-up tapes in a
metal framed building that receives a direct lightning strike. The conclusion was,
fairly safe, but error correcting codes are a good thing for backups.

More practical questions addressed by Mythbusters include phone use, and showers do
indeed carry risks from nearby lightning strikes. No I mean using the phone or
taking a shower.

If location makes it a major problem then using a cheap wireless router will protect
more expensive devices from the phone line being struck. I've just bought a wireless
printer. BT has some protection in the phone sockets, but it is minimal, you can buy
expensive kit to try and help but nearby strikes will defeat pretty much any simple
wiring/circuitry solution.

Costwise TV Ariels the hard one to defeat till all my viewing is over the web.
Meantime insurance.....