Re: [LUG] Electrical storm, recommendations for a printer/scanner

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 01:06:17PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> They provide protection against surges. They'll stop kits rebooting from
> induced currents (although most kit will do that fine on its own), but
> the currents involved in direct lightening strikes are immense. E.g. Will
> happily arc a few centimeters if it needs to do so to destroy your lovely
> electronics.

I was thankfully persuaded to install a set of surge protectors on the main
line. The cost was expensive (about £200) but what persuaded me in the end
was the realisation that I had the choice of
-   Fitting surge protectors to every piece of electronics and then after
    every storm checking them all
-   Or a one time installation.

This time it appeared to have worked: the centralised surge protectors blew
but all the electrical connections were safe.

http://www.electricalreview.co.uk/features/8387-surges-get-the-regulation-treatment
http://engineering.electrical-equipment.org/electrical-distribution/how-choose-surge-protection-device.html

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately