Re: [LUG] Sharing movies and photos

Hi,

On Sat 04/01/14,19:34, Richard Brown wrote:
> On 4 January 2014 13:40, Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > f your clients where you are accessing the data from are all linux, then
> > setting up nfs (network file system) is probably what you are looking
> > for.
> > If you have any windows machines that need to access the data, then samba is
> > your tool.
> >
> > The client machines can then be configured to view/access the exported
> > mount points as if they were just another local disk.
>
> A couple of questions.
> 1. I have a separate internal hard drive of 1tb which is auto mounted.
> How do I add this whole drive to /etc/exports file please? Or should I
> create directories on that drive and add them but once again what
> would the directory path be please or how would I find it out.

This internal 1 tb disk, are you sure it is automounted, if it is, then
there will not be an entry for it in /etc/fstab but will be visible when
you type mount at the terminal (including the path where it is mounted).
If the filesystem doesn't have a label, it will probably be appearing in
/media/<longStringOfLettersAndDigits>

The goal is to have it show up consistantly somewhere so there are two
options, if it already does this skip ahead.

1. adding a file system label, which will make it appear in
/media/FancyLabel
There is no generic tool for adding file system labels, so that depends
on what you formatted the disk with.
in any case, google: ext4 adding file system label
or: btrfs adding file system label
should yield some useful instructions, if you want to go down this
route.
2. Statically mount the disk, by adding it to /etc/fstab
# make a static place where the disk will be mounted
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/bigDisk
$ sudo blkid
grab the long uuid for the device/partition, and note if it is ext4 or
anything else.
$ sudo gedit /etc/fstab
and append something like this:
UUID=<longCodeFromAbove> /mnt/BigDisk <ext4?> default 0 0

save and exit
$ mount -a
if you now navigate to /mnt/BigDisk you should be able to view the data
on the disk.

##skip here
Now, we can export it using nfs or samba as if it was just a directory by pointing
to /mnt/BigDisk or /media/FancyLabel
You can add something like the following to /etc/exports

/mnt/BigDisk/  192.168.1.0/24(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,sync)

where the 192.168.1.0 is the subnet of machines that should have access
to the share.

> 2. Can I push files from the Mac over NFS to the Linux server? Can I
> open a pages (Mac word processor) file that is stored on the Linux
> server through nfs please?

Don't own any mac machines, unable to Advise on stability or steps on
getting it working from the mac side.
But from what Philip said in his email, setting up samba might be
better for macs.
The rw flag in the nfs export line above should allow users to
read/write.
You can also give read/write access with samba.
nfs/samba are just operating on files, they don't care if they are
windows/linux/mac files, or file content, so there shouldn't be any
problem.

thanks,
Mesar