Re: [LUG] Sharing movies and photos

> On 4 Jan 2014, at 13:16, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> You can also stream movies directly from it using DLNA and similar technologies to
> players on other machines, such as smart TVs.

I was under the impression DLNA was the usual method. Where I've played at music
sharing I enabled DLNA on the Linux music library and listened on phone with no
difficulty.

We've cursed UPnP here before, but that is largely we don't want it on your Internet
routers opening random holes for the bad guys, not that it can't be used to share
stuff which is widely available around your own wireless LAN.

The security implications of all this are hideous, but if it is largely Movies,
music and stuff you are happy sharing around your family and friends, hopefully you
aren't going to be dreadfully shocked if the neighbours find a way in to see/listen.