Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

On 30/12/13 17:32, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On 30/12/13 17:30, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just to fill you on the HP. I have been speaking to the FreeNAS
>> community and finding out a bit more about using FreeNAS and also ZFS.
>>
>> 1. FreeNAS uses the whole drive. So if you have a 20gb drive FreeNAS
>> will use that completely for the OS. If you have a 250gb drive FreeNAS
>> will use the whole drive for the OS.
>> 2. In order to run ZFS it is recommended that you have a minimum of
>> 8gb memory available as it has a lot of overheads.
>>
>> This is why you are encouraged to run of a bootable flash drive. You
>> can burn the os to a usb stick which is only 8gb in size.
>>
>> In view of this my HP box needs upgrading in terms of ram and I need
>> to burn to a memory stick. I haven't been able to do this at the
>> moment. Could anybody help with this please? I have tried burning to a
>> stick a couple of times and it isn't bootable. I would happily
>> contribute towards beer fund etc if someone did this.
>>
>> Also is it still best to go down the FreeNAS route?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rich

> Have you tried using unetbootln
>
> http://zleap.net/unetbootln-usb-how_to/

The FreeNAS site specifically warns in their howto that unetbootin is
not compatible with their install ISO - they may be wrong however, and
are just being overly cautious. I've used unetbootin to Frankenstein
together installers that shouldn't have been bootable but that work fine.

Richard, what exact model did you get? Is it a N40L? Precise model
please, that will help.

Have you tried booting your FreeNAS USB installer on a different
computer, to make sure it is valid? That would be the first step as you
may have a corrupt installer. Checking online resources for the HP
Microserver (there are a lot out there) seem to indicate that it's a
fussy beast and many people have problems with the USB install process.
You might want to retry with a couple of different sticks, and use one
that is at least 4Gb.

You could also try using unetbootin to prep up a standard USB installer
for any Linux distro of choice, just to see if the HP recognises that
before pushing on with the FreeNAS install.

There is also a modified BIOS image available that may be worth
investigating as it apparently unlocks some features that HP didn't
bother implementing themselves (lazy tossers).

FreeNAS is ultimately a modified and cut down FreeBSD system - if you
don't mind getting your hands dirty, it's possible to either change
parameters during or after install so things like FreeNAS automatically
taking up an entire drive aren't actually set in stone. If you're coming
from the Linux world you are going to find BSD's disk slices and
partitioning/filesystem methodologies radically different though, just
to warn you.

I think you said your system has 4Gb RAM: whilst more is always good,
ignore them if they are telling you that ZFS needs 8Gb. You can always
disable certain RAM heavy features (cryto, dedupe) as it's unlikely
you'll want them anyway. Your system is a home NAS anyway, it's not like
it's going to be doing max IOPS 24/7 or anything. My crappy little
netbook has 1Gb of RAM and I run that on a ZFS root without any major
problems, not that I'd particularly recommend it though.

Regards

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3397-modified-bios-for-microserver-n40l-enables-hidden-features/page-13

http://bikerpatch.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/booting-from-usb-on-hp-proliant-microserver/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2090928