Re: [LUG] facebook group

So far as I thought about it at all, I suppose I thought it would be supplementary, another string to our bow, another arrow in our quiver. Mainly I was just thinking it would be cool.

Anyway, there's clearly no strong inclination, so let's file it under "Thought about it, didn't go there."

On 29 December 2013 10:04, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28 Dec 2013 16:35, "Paul Sutton" <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28/12/13 16:24, Simon Avery wrote:
> > The mailing list is the heart of the lug. I doubt many would argue
> > that or wish to change it.
> >
> > I have no issue with Facebook and use it a lot. (Just accept that
> > anything you post on there is no longer yours)
> >
> > I have "liked" the DCLUG "group" some time ago, but it's worth noting
> > this is not a "group" in the Facebook sense. It's just a page. You
> > can't join it, it doesn't show in your list of groups. This setup is
> > generally used by businesses to broadcast, rather than a community to
> > discuss. Perhaps that's the intent and if so, fine. From the messages
> > in there, many won't use Facebook so it won't ever replace the list
> > and perhaps having a Facebook Lug community would split part of the
> > community off, so probably best left as it is.
> >
> > I rarely visit the website(s) any more but if a plugin to auto-post
> > articles/pages to facebook was added, it would help me keep abreast of
> > things.  Certainly the website(s) should remain and be a center for
> > news and information, including interesting articles, because it's
> > searchable and a reference in a way neither list nor facebook can ever be.
>
> I think that it is possible to subscribe the list to the blog, as in
> anything posted to the blog on the WP is automatically sent to the
> list.  I am not sure how to do this.
>
> http://dcglug.drogon.net/
>
> scroll down and you can subscribe to the blog via e-mail
>
> Maybe this should be first step, so the list can be kept up to date with
> blog posts
>
> Paul
>

> --
>

> --
> http://www.zleap.net
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-sutton/36/595/911
>

> Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 11th Jan 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/
>
> I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.
>

> --

I can't remember the name of it now, but many months ago Gordon setup a floss social network thingy (elg??) And turned it off because no one used it.

The only thing I think it might be useful for is attracting new members to this list. In which case fine.

I might have mis-understood however. Was the suggestion to set up a diaspora pod to replace our *none-lug* social network activities? In which case, ill gladly give it a go....

Cheers roly

Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63