Re: [LUG] facebook group

On 28/12/13 14:40, Philip Hudson wrote:

> On 28 December 2013 11:28, Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     > Diaspora gives a very FB-like experience, minus the
>     > exploitation and surveillance and central control
>
>     And minus all your friends.
>

> No, just 95% of them, IME. You have to decide whether that's a bad
> thing. :-) Plenty of my FB friends are sick and tired of FB, and
> several of them have made the leap, with a (very slow) trickle
> continuing, prodded by my reminders each time there's another
> revelation of FB miscreancy.
>
> You can still keep in touch. I now treat FB as more or less
> "write-only" via Diaspora cross-posting.
>

>     I rather like the idea of Diaspora though, and there being a
>     DCGLUG pod would be a good reason for me to actually join.

That would be a good way to keep anyone following the lug on Facebook up
to date with say events etc.

> Cool. Got a server?
>

>     But I also believe that whatever you post on a social network, you
>     should assume to be public, regardless of your privacy settings or
>     how much you trust the entity running the network.
>

> Very wise, very true.
>
> What we can say about Diaspora, privacy, ownership and control, is
> that insofar as technical considerations go -- and I do agree that
> these are primarily social, cultural and legal problems, not technical
> ones -- Diaspora tries to Do The Right Thing.

Hmm here is a suggestion

There are still plans (when simon is free) to move all the content from
the dcglug.drogon.net site to the dcglug.org.uk hosting site,  maybe in
the interim we could have diaspora.dcglug.org.uk and use that, its then
on the dcglug server.  or even just use the server for diaspora   it
would then keep everything in one place.  Maybe if setting up subdomains
/ hosting we could have one for gnusocial too.  (if matt lee is happy to
help us set that up)

Does this sound like a sensible option, we need something future proof
so we are not messing around later on,  what we then need is a TEAM of
people to help maintain it, rather than one or two people, we should
have some structure so information is posted on a regular basis decide
what is posted, where etc.

on the dcglug.drogon.net site there are some buttons that go to
facebook, twitter and g+,  I am not sure how we integrate that plugin
with things like diaspora and gnusocial its not an option on the plugin
admin page.  maybe we need a plug in that supports this, custom written
or if this has been done and is under a free license grab that.

Just a few thoughts

>From what you are saying I would conclude this.

1. Lots of people who use facebook are a ) worried about privacy and b)
fed up of the way it treats users etc,
2 They want something different or would like something different

we therefore have a real opportunity to change things, and give people a
real opportunity,  maybe really start to push these free alternatives,

Paul

> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 11th Jan 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.