Re: [LUG] facebook group

On 28 December 2013 11:28, Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Diaspora gives a very FB-like experience, minus the
> exploitation and surveillance and central control

And minus all your friends.

No, just 95% of them, IME. You have to decide whether that's a bad thing. :-) Plenty of my FB friends are sick and tired of FB, and several of them have made the leap, with a (very slow) trickle continuing, prodded by my reminders each time there's another revelation of FB miscreancy.

You can still keep in touch. I now treat FB as more or less "write-only" via Diaspora cross-posting.

I rather like the idea of Diaspora though, and there being a DCGLUG pod would be a good reason for me to actually join.

Cool. Got a server?

But I also believe that whatever you post on a social network, you should assume to be public, regardless of your privacy settings or how much you trust the entity running the network.

Very wise, very true.

What we can say about Diaspora, privacy, ownership and control, is that insofar as technical considerations go -- and I do agree that these are primarily social, cultural and legal problems, not technical ones -- Diaspora tries to Do The Right Thing.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63