Re: [LUG] facebook group

On 29/12/13 10:04, Roland Tarver wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2013 16:35, "Paul Sutton" <zleap@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> > On 28/12/13 16:24, Simon Avery wrote:
> > > The mailing list is the heart of the lug. I doubt many would argue
> > > that or wish to change it.
> > >
> > > I have no issue with Facebook and use it a lot. (Just accept that
> > > anything you post on there is no longer yours)
> > >
> > > I have "liked" the DCLUG "group" some time ago, but it's worth noting
> > > this is not a "group" in the Facebook sense. It's just a page. You
> > > can't join it, it doesn't show in your list of groups. This setup is
> > > generally used by businesses to broadcast, rather than a community to
> > > discuss. Perhaps that's the intent and if so, fine. From the messages
> > > in there, many won't use Facebook so it won't ever replace the list
> > > and perhaps having a Facebook Lug community would split part of the
> > > community off, so probably best left as it is.
> > >
> > > I rarely visit the website(s) any more but if a plugin to auto-post
> > > articles/pages to facebook was added, it would help me keep abreast of
> > > things.  Certainly the website(s) should remain and be a center for
> > > news and information, including interesting articles, because it's
> > > searchable and a reference in a way neither list nor facebook can
> ever be.
> >
> > I think that it is possible to subscribe the list to the blog, as in
> > anything posted to the blog on the WP is automatically sent to the
> > list.  I am not sure how to do this.
> >
> > http://dcglug.drogon.net/
> >
> > scroll down and you can subscribe to the blog via e-mail
> >
> > Maybe this should be first step, so the list can be kept up to date with
> > blog posts
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > --
> >

> > --
> > http://www.zleap.net
> >
> > http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-sutton/36/595/911
> >

> > Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 11th Jan 2014 -
> http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/
> >
> > I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable
> groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to
> share this commitment.
> >

> > --
>
> Can I just ask, for us, what advantages are there in using a social
> network? (as opposed to this list as it stands?)

I think it depends on how it is used,  For the lug i think we should
stick to the list,  however having a page on facebook and other networks
that directs people to the lug website / list means that anyone doing a
search on facebook for linux or linux users and finds us,  can then at
least have the option of joining up.  So its a very minimal advocacy
tool, nothing else, however if done in the right way then it could be
very very effective.  Sometimes minimal is more effective.

On the subject of other forums I got invited to this by Tom Haliday who
is involved with the Exeter Fab space http://www.techyheadz.com/ so i
have signed up and added a page for the Exeter and DC Linux user groups
but my main aim here is as above it acts to sign post people to the
lug.   Not to have another discussion forum.

End of the day this list is one, that has a vast amount of knowledge and
expertise attached to it,  Something that only develops through time.
If we can branch out in the right way to let other people know we
exist,  then with the introduction of the new computer science
curriculum we can perhaps grow further.

So a simple, maintained page acts as a portal, rather than a forum, as
Gordon said what ends up happening is groups become fragmented.  This
was also the concern I raised when the Exeter Lug formed.

I don't see any harm in having a page which has our basic contact info
on, maybe when meetings are, but again that is yet another page to
maintain with the meeting data,  have the one page on the website,  that
way new information doesn't need to be replicated.

I prefer the list as is one of a few things I don't need to log in to
per se,  i can just check my e-mail and use my e-mail client to post.

Paul

> Whilst setting up a diaspora pod is cool, do we need it? Will we use
> it?  will it fragment our tried and tested mailing list.
>
> I can't remember the name of it now, but many months ago Gordon setup
> a floss social network thingy (elg??) And turned it off because no one
> used it.
>
> The only thing I think it might be useful for is attracting new
> members to this list. In which case fine.

Yes see above.,

> I might have mis-understood however. Was the suggestion to set up a
> diaspora pod to replace our *none-lug* social network activities? In
> which case, ill gladly give it a go....

I think the use of diaspora is more down to the fact it gives US control
of everything rather than handing information to Facebook who then as
people have said own that data and do what they want with it.

http://www.zleap.net