Re: [LUG] facebook group

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013, Roland Tarver wrote:

I can't remember the name of it now, but many months ago Gordon setup a floss social network thingy (elg??) And turned it off because no one used it.

I setup elg, wordpress and a wiki. No-one used it, so I closed it down.

I posted a week or so about fragmentation on the Exeter LUG list, but the same will apply here. By all means go ahead and create your own little "pods", facebooks, twitters, etc. but everyone can't follow everything, so all that'll happen is that the popular eye candy of the day will attract those who like it and the others simply won't bother.

Sadly I've seen this happen with other lists in the past - e.g. what was once a very lively, thriving scuba community with thousands of members turned into a Usenet group then hundreds of web based forums, now facebook groups and so on with the result that all the knowledge was spread to the four winds with no central coherent place to put it all )-:

Right now there are a few separate groups in and about Exeter who might benefit from a central place to gather and share information, but my feeling is that they're all "personalities" with their own agendas who'd rather work separately than as a group to achieve something bigger, so I'm just not bothering.

Happy humbugs!

Gordon