Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On 28/06/13 20:25, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM, bad apple wrote:
I think your reasoning is a bit torturous equating additional wasted
time with actual fatalities (would you accuse the post office of
murdering OAPs because they have to queue up to get the pension?) but I
do now understand your point. I also completely agree that all this
security theatre is an insult and a complete and total waste of time.
While I agree with this all being security theatre, and while I think
we can't have enough Bruce Schneiers (or bad apples) to make this
point, it's not just a few bureaucrats who want this and force these
regulations upon all of us. It's the population as a whole, or at
least the majority thereof, who expects "things to be done".

A more appropriate response to 9/11 would have been "well, we'll make
sure that the doors to the cabin will be locked from now on*, but if
you really wanted to wreak serious havoc on a plane you were flying
on, we might not be able to stop you". I don't think that would have
been accepted though.

* this is one of the few things that actually does make a significant
difference.

Another often quoted statistic is that, in the aftermath of 9/11, more
people died because they opted to drive rather than fly (which is far
more dangerous), than did in the attacks themselves.

Martijn.

on airline security check this

http://www.askthepilot.com/essaysandstories/terminal-madness/

particularly good is this guy having his knife (part of his emergency stop over food kit), a knife given to first class passengers to eat in-flight meals with, confiscated... "but I'm the pilot, if I want to destroy the plane I don't need to use a butter knife..."

it's a great blog anyhow and worth reading for the other stuff on it.

As to swearing, yes my conversation is often full of effing and blinding, but usually only when appropriate (everyone else is swearing or I've dropped a breeze block on my foot). Not in general public conversation (the LUG is such, maybe, almost?) I don't see this as a limit on my freedom of expression, just being socially responsive to situations. Blistering barnacles, there are alternatives you bunch of bashi bazooks!