Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM, bad apple wrote:
> I think your reasoning is a bit torturous equating additional wasted
> time with actual fatalities (would you accuse the post office of
> murdering OAPs because they have to queue up to get the pension?) but I
> do now understand your point. I also completely agree that all this
> security theatre is an insult and a complete and total waste of time.

While I agree with this all being security theatre, and while I think
we can't have enough Bruce Schneiers (or bad apples) to make this
point, it's not just a few bureaucrats who want this and force these
regulations upon all of us. It's the population as a whole, or at
least the majority thereof, who expects "things to be done".

A more appropriate response to 9/11 would have been "well, we'll make
sure that the doors to the cabin will be locked from now on*, but if
you really wanted to wreak serious havoc on a plane you were flying
on, we might not be able to stop you". I don't think that would have
been accepted though.

* this is one of the few things that actually does make a significant
difference.

Another often quoted statistic is that, in the aftermath of 9/11, more
people died because they opted to drive rather than fly (which is far
more dangerous), than did in the attacks themselves.

Martijn.