Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On 28/06/13 07:08, tom wrote:
> On 28/06/13 06:35, bad apple wrote:
>> On 28/06/13 06:25, tom wrote:
>>> That was just a pathetic excuse.
>>> It was shown that the use of airport body scanners alone  would
>>> effectively lead to more deaths - simply due to the time people spent
>>> queueing - than the terrorists caused.
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> [citation needed]
>>
>> Regards
>>
> Say an airport has 1million passengers a year. They spend an extra 10
> minutes queueing for the scanner - thats 19 years wasted.
> There are over 760 million passengers so thats 206 extra deaths every
> year. So 15 years of scanning and you've got the terrorists beaten -
> which would be a first as the US and other governments shooting down
> passenger jets had them beaten before that.
> It should be noted that air arrival -> departure time went from about
> 2 hours to over 4 hours after 11/9 for flights to the US.
> I used to fly abroad from Stansted - I could leave my house and be in
> the air in about an hour if I felt daring or overslept - 1/2hr spent
> at the airport. Now with the extra queuing if I still lived there
> that’s an extra 150minutes per flight so 3090 deaths per year due to
> increased unsecurity if similar stuff globally.
> Given that the average air passenger may be older than average the
> death toll from this may be much much higher as we are just
> considering wasted lifespans here.
> We are so much not safer - and neither is the english language!
> Tom te tom te tom te tom

I think your reasoning is a bit torturous equating additional wasted
time with actual fatalities (would you accuse the post office of
murdering OAPs because they have to queue up to get the pension?) but I
do now understand your point. I also completely agree that all this
security theatre is an insult and a complete and total waste of time.
Thanks for explaining chief.

Regards