Re: [LUG] Changing the DVD drive

On 24/04/13 17:46, Neil Winchurst wrote:
The two recommendations I get are for Debian or Ubuntu. I do have a reasonable broadband connection, about 12 Mb/s at quiet times and rarely lower than 11.

I will certainly look at both Debian and Ubuntu servers as part of my research. And I am quite happy using a terminal screen.

Thanks

Neil

Personally I'd suggest Debian then*. The Net installer doesn't take long for a base server. I would recommend installing OpenSSH Server on it as you'll be able to login from other machines (it's handy, especially if you put the machine somewhere that isn't particularly easy to get to, or somewhere that putting a keyboard and monitor on it isn't so much of an option).

The last Debian install I did was on a fairly low speed broadband connection and even then it only took about 45 minutes to install the base packages and a couple of extra things. I'm sure with a 11 ish megabit connection it'll only take maybe 20 minutes, if that to download and install the packages.

* I suggest Debian as a long time (since 2006) user of Ubuntu server. While I was happy with Ubuntu server for a long time, and most recently ran Ubuntu 12.04 Server, I decided I wasn't keen on the direction Ubuntu was going and decided I wanted to try something a little different. As we use Debian servers at work I thought it made sense to use Debian at home, and since I already had a fair bit of experience of Ubuntu, it wasn't that hard to make the switch, and I'm sure the Debian folks are less likely to make any big changes to Debian like the Ubuntu folks do (well, with non LTS releases anyway, I guess the LTS releases are a little more stable).

Rob