Re: [LUG] Booting from USB

On 24/04/13 17:47, Rob Beard wrote:

I've found on some machines you can find the USB device (USB stick, SD
card reader, USB hard drive etc) listed under hard drives, and others it
will come up as a removeable drive.

On a PC I've just tried, it has list under Removable Dev (it's an Asus
board with AMI BIOS).

You could try going into the boot menu (maybe F12, possibly F9, F10...
hopefully it will prompt you as the machine goes through the BIOS).

If you can get to a boot menu, sometimes you might be able to select
Hard Drive and have it open a sub menu with the USB device and hard
drive listed.

Alas it seems to be different depending what machine you have.  This
machine I've tried doesn't do it, but others I've tried do.

If all else fails, maybe this might work...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

Rob

Thanks. I have had another look at the BIOS. At the moment under Boot list I have dvd drive first and the HD second. There is a third option listed as disabled which I suppose means unused.

I notice that one choice available is External Drive. Perhaps that could be for a USB memory stick. And I could make that second in the list and put the HD last.

Neil