Re: [LUG] Changing the DVD drive

On 23/04/13 18:04, bad apple wrote:

Some more info on your board 'cos as you say, this is all new to you -
there's a relatively high-res pic here:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/tradeshows/2005/tourdetaiwan/939Dual-SATA2-FACE.jpg

Using that pic as a reference against your actual hardware, the two
connectors at bottom left (one blue, one black) marked ATA 133 are your
IDE connections. They have keyed connectors so you can't plug in the
cable the wrong way around, as will the vast majority of IDE drives,
whether HDD or DVD. Note that the blue one is designated IDE1 (primary)
and the black one is IDE2 (secondary). The legend on the board next to
them helpfully states that any hard drives should be connected to IDE1
and DVD/CD units to IDE2 (you can actually ignore this, but that's
another story). Your spare ribbon is probably connected to IDE2 - is
there anything connected to IDE1 already (probably your HDD I'd guess).

As you say, the spare ribbon was connected to IDE2. Nothing was connected to IDE1, so I have moved the ribbon cable up to IDE1. Is that OK?

The HD is connected to a SATA port which looks like SATA2. The SATA1 port was connected to the old DVD drive. I have left the cable loose.
Hope that is all right.

Regarding the Master/Slave business (my god, that is one thing I
seriously do *not* miss having to arse about with anymore) you're
correct, you could jumper the DVD to Master. However, if your spare
ribbon has two free connectors at the end of it, as is common, you'll
then have to be careful which one you connect to the DVD. Simply setting
the jumper to Cable Select lets the hardware autosense and set itself up
accordingly: trust me, this will save headaches. As you say, you've
already got the system set up so it boots from DVD first so once you're
connected up you should be on the home strait.

I expect to see an email proclaiming successful install of a fresh OS
posted from your new system later tonight :]

Cheers

So finally, there are two audio ports on the new drive, but I cannot see any cable to attach to either. Will I need to get one?

Thanks

Neil