[LUG] Changing the DVD drive

Recently I have been trying to find a use for my old desktop computer. Then I found that the original DVD drive is not working properly. One of our members, David Bell, has kindly given me a replacement drive.

Today I have had a look inside the box. I find that the fittings at the back of each drive are quite different so I am now a bit lost. I have always concentrated on software up to now and kept well away from the hardware.

Is it possible/likely that the new drive is not compatible with my old computer? Or is there some way to get it working which is beyond my very limited (read non-existent) capabilities?

Any suggestions please?

Neil