Re: [LUG] Changing the DVD drive

On 23/04/13 13:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Recently I have been trying to find a use for my old desktop computer.
> Then I found that the original DVD drive is not working properly. One
> of our members, David Bell, has kindly given me a replacement drive.
>
> Today I have had a look inside the box. I find that the fittings at
> the back of each drive are quite different so I am now a bit lost. I
> have always concentrated on software up to now and kept well away from
> the hardware.
>
> Is it possible/likely that the new drive is not compatible with my old
> computer? Or is there some way to get it working which is beyond my
> very limited (read non-existent) capabilities?
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

I'm going to guess that you have one SATA interface and one PATA/IDE
interface in play here: your PC is older so it probably has the older
(and now relatively obsolete) IDE interface, whereas your replacement
drive probably has a newer SATA type interface. It could of course be
the other way around though. Have a look at the pics on these two wiki
pages so you know which is which:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ata

The two won't play together nicely I'm afraid, although it's entirely
possible your PC actually has both types of connectors on it's
motherboard. If you're not sure, let us know your motherboards
make/model and we can google it to check.

I've got stacks of both IDE and SATA DVDs lying around, I pulled several
out of a dead machine just yesterday - getting them to you might be a
problem though as I'm too lazy to travel :]

Do you know if your old PC supports booting from a USB thumb drive? It's
really a lot easier than arsing about with DVDs anyway.

Cheers