Re: [LUG] Changing the DVD drive

On 24/04/13 17:33, Rob Beard wrote:

For a server you can't go wrong with Debian, the new version (Wheezy or
7.0) is hopefully going to be released on 4th or 5th May [1]. That will
give you a nice stable system with some up to date packages etc.  A gui
is only an apt-get away (or you could opt to install a gui during the
installation of the OS).

If you've got a reasonably quick broadband connection I'd suggest doing
a Netinstall.  The ISO image for that is smaller than the standard
Debian images (which come as lots of CD ISOs, a few DVD iso, or I think
maybe one or two Blu-ray ISOs).  Looking at the Netinst ISO, it's
currently around 270MB for the 32-Bit Debian Testing (which is what
Wheezy is at the moment until it's released).

Or maybe you like living a bit more on the bleeding edge, you could
always try Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is Linux Mint built on top
of Debian Testing, it's constantly evolving and they release a new ISO
every couple of months.  That will give you a GUI and you can still run
the standard server stuff on it (well you can on normal Linux Mint,
Ubuntu, Fedora, <insert favourite distro here> etc etc too for that
matter).

While a lot of people don't tend to install a GUI on a server, if you're
learning about servers then maybe it could come in handy, you could have
a terminal window or two open and maybe a browser to refer to online
guides and stuff if you get stuck.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/04/msg00006.html

Rob

The two recommendations I get are for Debian or Ubuntu. I do have a reasonable broadband connection, about 12 Mb/s at quiet times and rarely lower than 11.

I will certainly look at both Debian and Ubuntu servers as part of my research. And I am quite happy using a terminal screen.

Thanks

Neil