Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On 20/11/12 12:51, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 20/11/12 09:41, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:

with KDE when you hit the shutdown icon a dialog appears saying
"shutting down in 55 seconds...", with the option to confirm and shut
down instantly.
No I don't get that. With KDE I just get several choices including Shut
Down, just like Maya. When I choose Shut Down in Maya it usually takes
about a minute, when I choose it in KDE it shuts down in about 2 seconds
*every time*.

  Maybe xfce has some equivalent which doesn't get
displayed or is sized wrong and/or under something else. You could try
hitting return just in case there is something in focus somewhere you
can't see it.

However, if you look at my other thread I now have a real problem with
Maya so I am planning to replace it with Xubuntu (which I should have
chosen in the first place no doubt. Learn by your mistakes).

I am now trying to work out the best way to keep KDE so that I can dual
boot with it, and replace Maya with Xubuntu.

Thanks

Neil

well with kubuntu the standard install has an option to use free space and dual boot with whatever is already there, the default option, or use the entire disc. I would guess all 'buntus have a standard install routine, so this shouldn't be a problem. You can always look as its possible to abort an install at this stage.

If you use a partition manager and simply delete the xfce partitions the install routine should see it as free space, and also install an updated boot manager.

I have xfce mint on a very elderly laptop in a holiday cottage. However I tried mint kde and had a few problems, mostly the software centre always hung and crashed. So as it's pretty much identical to kubuntu I switched back.