Re: [LUG] New distro - and logging off

On 19/11/12 13:00, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 19/11/12 09:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:
OK, so I used the power switch to shut down yesterday and it took about
2 seconds to do it! I do find something a bit odd though.

If I go Menu --> Logout it brings up a small window where the choices
are Logout, Restart, Shut Down, Suspend or of course Cancel. If I then
click on Shut Down I get the long wait that I have been moaning about.

If, as suggested, I press the power button briefly I get a small window
on the screen which looks identical to the one mentioned above. Yet when
I click on Shut Down this time it all happens in 2 seconds.

Why would the same button on the same window have such different results
merely due to the way it (the window) is called up?

Weird,

Neil

Sorry, forget the above. Today, using the power switch method it took the usual minute to shut down. I have now realised that about every 5 or 6 shut downs is a fast,2 sec, one, what ever method I use. The rest are the 1 minute version. Oh well, never mind, there is obviously some obscure reason for it. I will just accept it and get on with things.

If I ever find out the reason I will pass it on.

Neil

with KDE when you hit the shutdown icon a dialog appears saying "shutting down in 55 seconds...", with the option to confirm and shut down instantly. Maybe xfce has some equivalent which doesn't get displayed or is sized wrong and/or under something else. You could try hitting return just in case there is something in focus somewhere you can't see it.

Or maybe it is checking for "important" stuff 4 out of 5 times? Or maybe there is some process/app/etc which hasn't shut down sometimes.

Of course software is an exact science and always will behave the same way and is not affected by saint's days, quantum fluctuations and if your (Schroedinger's) cat has had breakfast....