Re: [LUG] OSS

On 09/10/12 10:31, Tony Sumner wrote:
>> rather than alsamixer have you used   from System Preferences Sound ?
> When I logged on this morning I found alsa still asleep. alsactl init
> returned  "No soundcards found". So I did (as root) a modprobe snd_cmipci
> and the snd modules all came back. alsactl init now returns
>
> Unknown hardware: "CMI8738-MC6" "CMedia PCI" "" "0x153b" "0x1144"
> Hardware is initialized using a guess method
>
> Why does alsa fade away? Surely this indicates something basically wrong?
> aplay says "cannot find card 0" so it is not really back now.
>
> System -> Preferences -> Sound opens a window that says
>    Sound theme: no sound (but this just refers to warning sounds doesn't it?)
>    Hardware  just shows an empty window (can't be right!)
>    Input     nothing
>    Output    "dummy output stereo"
>
> This has got to be a clue.
>
> And yes I do belong to the audio group. I am sorry this must be trying
> your patience. I used to be a fan of Red Hat (version 8 it was) so maybe
> I'll switch to Fedora  :-)
>
> Tony

Try following this:

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm

If that doesn't work then read on. It's a long time since I was familiar
with this stuff so what I say below could be wrong (and perhaps I'm also
over complicating things (normal for me!)).

As I see it now-a-days there's no need to install any module. The kernel
will suss out the hardware itself and load the appropriate module.

So I suspect either you will have (a) somehow got your sound module
blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d, (b) the kernel can't find a module (i.e.
package not installed or recognised), or (c) /etc/udev rules are screwed
up. The latter wouldn't stop you loading the module with modprobe
<module> but the kernel wouldn't load it at boot.

You can check out (a) by examining the files in /etc/modprobe.d. (b)
/lib/modules/<kernel name> if your module ain't listed you may have to
install a firmware package (alsa-firmware?). If (c) you've got your work
cut out unless you're familiar with writing/edit udev.rules.

Keith