Re: [LUG] OSS

   http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm

> If that doesn't work then read on.
> As I see it now-a-days there's no need to install any module. The
> kernel will suss out the hardware itself and load the appropriate
> module.

Well. that is a fair statement of what should happen and doesn't.

> as root do "lspci" and report back

00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
<snip>
01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 01)
01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
01:09.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model
64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

> My next trick would be to insert a soundcard in the PCI slot that I know
> works in Linux

It is a PCI soundcard and it does work in Linux -- because I have had aplay
playing a wav file.

> A parallel diagnostic at this point is a different OS run from a "Live Cd"

I do have an alternative OS, it's called Windows, and with that the sound
works fine, both movies and audio CD. So the hardware is ok. I have also
loaded a live disk with Ubuntu 8.04 (a great version that!) and this
identifies the sound card and installs the module snd_cmipci and I can aplay
a wav file. I couldn't test an audio CD since I have only the one drive.

I have looked at the debian help page and none of it helps much. The
present position is that lsmod says the modules are loaded, including
snd_cmipci, but now nothing works, not even aplay, in root or out of
it. I have esd but not /dev/dsp or /dev/mixer. I have looked in
/etc/modprobe.d and the module is not blacklisted. And no I am not
going to try editing udev rules. I think the problem is essentially this:

  With both OSS and ALSA (when it was working) I can play a wav file and
  nothing else.
  The hardware is ok

I am convinced that the only way forward is to re-install Debian. That
means re-installing stuff like TeX and MySQL which are quite tricky
and at present I can't spare the time. So can I leave it like that --
I'll re-install the OS when I can?

Tony