[LUG] OSS

I don't run a server either so I am a bit nervous about asking what is
probably a pretty basic question but anyway here goes. Earlier this
year I did a fresh install (Debian Squeeze) and sound didn't come back
so I am now trying to install OSS4, viz oss4-base, oss4-dkms and
oss4-gtk. I have used OSS before and found it satisfactory whatever
the ALSA crowd say about it. To start with there was no sound and I
trawled the forums to get some help and adjusted ossxmix and now I
have sound but only partially.

  osstest                     -- ok (with the music)
  cat /dev/random >/dev/dsp   -- nothing
  .wmv file -> movie player   -- nothing
  firefox and youtube         -- nothing
  .wav file -> gramofile      -- OK
I have tried everything I can think of but I am stuck. The forums seem to
assume that sound is either there or it isn't. Where do I go next?

Tony