Re: [LUG] OSS

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 17:35 +0100, Tony Sumner wrote:
> > Welcome to the mess that is Linux audio.
>
> Thanks, Kai. I agree with that. I had a fight with ALSA a while ago
> which I lost, which is why I have been using OSS.
>
> > I advise you focus on getting ALSA working instead of OSS which is
> > considered legacy stuff.
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture
>
> > http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA
>
> Thanks, Keith. I have removed OSS, installed ALSA, found a driver (cmipci),
> done modprobe snd-cmipci, adjusted mute in alsamixer and I can now aplay
> a wav file. As before that is about the only thing I can do. No sound from
> CD, none from a .wmv file via movie player, nothing from the internet. In
> other words I am no further forward. I suspect that there is some component
> of linux audio that is not working and that does not depend on which sound
> system I have, ALSA or OSS.
>
> Tony

Have you looked at the input connectors in alsa mixer?
have you the alsamixer-gui?
and have you got plulse audio? as that is in "series " with you inputs
you have to join all the dots in a straight line as it were to pipe the
sound through the system. Any dead end and you get no sound!
also are you KDE or Gnome?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)