Re: [LUG] OSS

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 10:31 +0100, Tony Sumner wrote:
> > rather than alsamixer have you used   from System Preferences Sound ?
>
> When I logged on this morning I found alsa still asleep. alsactl init
> returned  "No soundcards found". So I did (as root) a modprobe snd_cmipci
> and the snd modules all came back. alsactl init now returns
>
> Unknown hardware: "CMI8738-MC6" "CMedia PCI" "" "0x153b" "0x1144"
> Hardware is initialized using a guess method
>
> Why does alsa fade away? Surely this indicates something basically wrong?
> aplay says "cannot find card 0" so it is not really back now.
>
> System -> Preferences -> Sound opens a window that says
>    Sound theme: no sound (but this just refers to warning sounds doesn't it?)
>    Hardware  just shows an empty window (can't be right!)
>    Input     nothing
>    Output    "dummy output stereo"
>
> This has got to be a clue.
>
> And yes I do belong to the audio group. I am sorry this must be trying
> your patience. I used to be a fan of Red Hat (version 8 it was) so maybe
> I'll switch to Fedora  :-)
>
> Tony

My next trick would be to insert a soundcard in the PCI slot that I know
works in Linux (is yours onboard sound?) I may have some here and can
post you one if needed.

as root do "lspci" and report back

or as root "tail -50 /var/log/messages"
after booting and see if the hardware is broke.

A parallel diagnostic at this point is a different OS run from a "Live
Cd" such as "Fedora live" "Mint" or a good one is "Puppy" can be
installed to a usb with a utility called Unetbootin.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Skype minions_shop