Re: [LUG] OSS

> rather than alsamixer have you used   from System Preferences Sound ?

When I logged on this morning I found alsa still asleep. alsactl init
returned  "No soundcards found". So I did (as root) a modprobe snd_cmipci
and the snd modules all came back. alsactl init now returns

Unknown hardware: "CMI8738-MC6" "CMedia PCI" "" "0x153b" "0x1144"
Hardware is initialized using a guess method

Why does alsa fade away? Surely this indicates something basically wrong?
aplay says "cannot find card 0" so it is not really back now.

System -> Preferences -> Sound opens a window that says
   Sound theme: no sound (but this just refers to warning sounds doesn't it?)
   Hardware  just shows an empty window (can't be right!)
   Input     nothing
   Output    "dummy output stereo"

This has got to be a clue.

And yes I do belong to the audio group. I am sorry this must be trying
your patience. I used to be a fan of Red Hat (version 8 it was) so maybe
I'll switch to Fedora  :-)

Tony