Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Miredo takes care of that. You install it - if it's not already there
>> - then you run it as root and you're IPv6 connected.
>
> Does it provide the endpoint as well, or do you still use tunnelbroker, etc.
> for that?

I'm still figuring out what's really going on, but it does all the
work for you. You don't need to set anything. It obviously uses
external Teredo/Miredo servers so I do wonder how well this would
scale for the Internet.

It is only designed - by someone at a large software vendor from
Redmond - as a temporary measure to make the transition towards IPv6
easier.

>> I sometimes want to login to my home PC from elsewhere. I used to have
>> ssh forwarded on the router, now I've disabled that and use Miredo and
>> IPv6. (The remote host runs Miredo as well.) It's not more secure in
>> theory, in practise it's unlikely that anyone's going to find that
>> IPv6 address and try logging into it.
>
> They might not find it at random, but when I initially enabled IPv6 on my
> servers, I thought it'd be OK to wory about the firewall afterwards...
> However it seems there are people out there probing IPv6 already - mostly
> spammers from what I can tell, but I've had the odd ssh probe too - so get
> up to speed on ipt6tables...
>
> Or just get a static IP address and be done with it :) Plenty of reasonably
> priced ISPs out there. (I think!) Even plusnet do static IP addresses, I
> think. Depends on your usage though - the smaller/niche ISPs tend to have
> much lower caps though.

I'm not too worried about ssh probes - they could have done it before
and they'd still need the password. It just adds a little bit of
security through obscurity.

But the main reason I'm using it is because it seems cool. Also, I was
writing a piece on IPv6 so I thought it'd be useful to actually be
able to use IPv6 while doing so. :)

Martijn.