Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On 19 January 2012 16:39, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If your computer, modem/router and ISP all support IPv6 (the former is
> bound to be the case, the latter two not necessarily so) IPv6 will
> just work. Otherwise you'll have to use something like Miredo (which
> is the Linux-equivalent of something called Teredo), which allows you
> to run an IPv6 connection over an IPv4 one.
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve though. IPv6 does
> away with NAT so your computer automatically becomes publicly routable
> which can be useful as you don't have to worry about port forwarding.
> The Teredo/Miredo IPv6-address includes an encoded version of the IPv4
> address though, so it'll be just as dynamic.

I want my laptop to be always routable, whatever network it's on.
Starbucks, home or office.

miredo is packaged in Archlinux, but I'm not sure how to use it. I'm
in Malaysia and I don't want to bridge to my Bitfolk VPS in the UK
(IIUC), because that will be painfully slow surely.

I thought of the use case I want to solve. I write Web applications
for Android. I want to demo them whilst they run on my laptop using an
Apache config like so:
VirtualDocumentRoot /srv/www/%0

So I want to setup an arbitrary sub domain name, mycooldemo.dabase.com
and /srv/www/mycooldemo.dabase.com serves the content from my laptop.

And on my Android phone I don't have to setup any special DNS and I'm
able to connect to my laptop. I don't necessarily want to connect over
WLAN since I might want to test it over 3G.

-Still dreaming :)