Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On 19 January 2012 13:38, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Because it is easier to offer static IPs to the few that want it?

I think provisioning static IPs is getting harder. Anyway I move
between ISPs. I want to move between ISPs, friend's houses, offices &
cafes and still have the ability for machines to contact my laptop
when I want them to.

> Probably bandwidth, reliability and prevalence of NAT/PAT

I imagine that IPs are typically dynamically dolled out, but I don't
think ISPs generally put >1 person behind an IP, or do they?

> Unlikely hopefully otherwise the malware would be doing it. There is
> only one port 80 per NAT device (typically).

If malware could punch open with uPnP... is it actually used at all?

> Maybe with IPv6.....

Yes, I wanted to get onto that. IPV6 IIUC needs some sort of bridge to
work in any case. Perhaps I can run some sort of IPV6 network over
whatever way I connect to the internet, so you can directly address
me. Hope that made sense.