Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On 19/01/12 04:27, Kai Hendry wrote:

> At risk of coming across as an idiot in public, I was wondering why
> don't ISPs don't automatically offer Dynamic DNS services to their
> users?

Because it is easier to offer static IPs to the few that want it?

> But why isn't it more mainstream than that?

Probably bandwidth, reliability and prevalence of NAT/PAT

Demon use to do something like this with dial but I think they gave
static IP addresses.

> What I would like to do is have my laptop at laptop.dabase.com at all
> times and whenever I wanted to show you something, I could launch my
> httpd and say checkout http://laptop.dabase.com/foobar
>
> Assuming that the connection I'm on can hopefully punch port 80 open
> out using UPnP.

Unlikely hopefully otherwise the malware would be doing it. There is
only one port 80 per NAT device (typically).

> This is useful for demo-ing my latest nodejs creation for example. I
> don't want to rent a VPS to show you a nodejs experiment.

The technology still doesn't lend itself well to this most places. Might
be fine out the far east with oodles of bandwidth, but the wrong end a
busy ADSL line is not good.

You following Alec Muffett, as he was recently muttering about why
mobile phones are bad for the Internet :)

Maybe with IPv6.....