[LUG] Dynamic DNS

Hi guys,

At risk of coming across as an idiot in public, I was wondering why
don't ISPs don't automatically offer Dynamic DNS services to their
users?

I know some do a static IP, which is nice, but a "Dynamic DNS" where a
mnemonic name like hendry.isp.example.com  would be nice no?

I noticed a lot of routers have dynamic dns dialogs to configure
horrible nagware sites like dyn and no-ip. But why isn't it more
mainstream than that?

Just wondering why the Internet isn't more peer to peer (I hate that
term), at least for experimentation purposes. I know
http://unite.opera.com/ was trying to address this, but I don't know
how far it got really.

What I would like to do is have my laptop at laptop.dabase.com at all
times and whenever I wanted to show you something, I could launch my
httpd and say checkout http://laptop.dabase.com/foobar

Assuming that the connection I'm on can hopefully punch port 80 open
out using UPnP.

This is useful for demo-ing my latest nodejs creation for example. I
don't want to rent a VPS to show you a nodejs experiment.

Kind regards,