Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, Martijn Grooten wrote:

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
miredo is packaged in Archlinux, but I'm not sure how to use it. I'm
in Malaysia and I don't want to bridge to my Bitfolk VPS in the UK
(IIUC), because that will be painfully slow surely.

Miredo is just an IPv6 tunnel. Not sure why it's needed as there is a tunnel
built in to Linux (SIT) You still need a "host" who'll support it for you.

Miredo takes care of that. You install it - if it's not already there
- then you run it as root and you're IPv6 connected.

Does it provide the endpoint as well, or do you still use tunnelbroker, etc. for that?

Enta have still broken my IPv6 connection at home/office, and I requested it enabled on a clients line earlier this week (via their reseller portal) for today which they've failed to do (no surprise there then). I'm almsot tempted to simply tunnel IPv6 to my hosted servers (although I don't want to waste bandwidth and my immediate upstream there is still working on their peering - Sheffield to Devon in IPv6 land currently goes via Paris and an IPv4 tunnel by the looks of it )-:

I sometimes want to login to my home PC from elsewhere. I used to have
ssh forwarded on the router, now I've disabled that and use Miredo and
IPv6. (The remote host runs Miredo as well.) It's not more secure in
theory, in practise it's unlikely that anyone's going to find that
IPv6 address and try logging into it.

They might not find it at random, but when I initially enabled IPv6 on my servers, I thought it'd be OK to wory about the firewall afterwards... However it seems there are people out there probing IPv6 already - mostly spammers from what I can tell, but I've had the odd ssh probe too - so get up to speed on ipt6tables...

Or just get a static IP address and be done with it :) Plenty of reasonably priced ISPs out there. (I think!) Even plusnet do static IP addresses, I think. Depends on your usage though - the smaller/niche ISPs tend to have much lower caps though.

Gordon