Re: [LUG] Distros (WAS: Looking for a new printer)

On 14/12/11 19:25, bad apple wrote:

> Well, sorry for the essay, that somehow got a lot longer than it was
> supposed to. That might have something to do with the two trashed Mac
> workstations sitting next to me awaiting recovery and complete rebuild
> and I *loathe* everything Apple, which is probably why I've spent most
> of my afternoon prevaricating on mailing lists rather than working.

The sentiment is shared, Debian is definitely the "least loathed"
perhaps we've been doing this too long.

Given the rubbish being pumped at the general public in terms of
anti-features (http://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2007/fall/antifeatures/) it
should be good times for leading Free Software OSes.

My experience is that desktop share has grown, and some sources support
this (although clearly not a representative sample):

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Although others sources suggest it is largely static, which seems
unlikely to me. On the other hand it is still piddling, and will remain
so until it is widely available pre-installed on hardware that works. I
think there is a mechanism for polish missing, something Canonical (and
Novell) were starting to be but seem to have lost their way.