Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

On 24/09/11 10:56, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> One shame is that NFS and NIS never really lent itself to laptop use
> either - I don't think it ever really kept up, so even with Linux
> laptops, mounting your "company" home directory poses challenges.

NIS possibly not, to be honest never used it enough in this millennium.

NFS was always well featured for laptop style operation, although
possibly by mistake. Of course no one ever read the documentation to
discover what it could do. The pain is tracking, matching or syncing UID
information. The software has long been able to cope with all sorts of
complexities in that, but not the administrators.

As such I always use SSHFS for file sharing on linux because I need
either username/passwd or my public key in the right file and I'm done,
and permissions are exactly what they always were in such circumstances.

Mounting $HOME (or equivalent) on a laptop would probably be silly
whatever the OS using regular file systems, although one might get away
with one of these funky distributed file systems at a push.