Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

Hi Gordon,

My home network is a mixture of Win (ME & XP)
and Ubuntu machines, in more or less harmony.
If you wish
to inspect, come over.

Ray.

[LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

>Bit of an oddity here...
Got a small network of Linux servers, all running
>NIS and
exporting filesystems via NFS - works well.

>They now
need Win clients to access it, so the obvious answer is
Samba.
>That's fine, but authentication is the issue -
what gives these days? The
>last time I did anything non
trivial, I arranged samba to authenticate to
>the Linux
password file (via NIS), which worked really well, and
punters
>used the same login/password to access shares on
several servers, however
>it required the clients to have
the "enable plain-text password" registry
>setting which I
understand is deprecated these days.

>Any suggestions?
It's really quite some time since I've looked at all
>this
for anything other than a trivial installation.

>The most
basic solution I'm thinking of is to have one master samba

>password file and simply copy it to the other servers
every time I add a
>user - crude... What's the magic
runes/incantations require to have one
>samba server as a
master and the others authenticsating off it?

>Punters
will be using a mix of XP, Win7 and I heard some mutterings
of
>Vista too... A lot are using their 'home' laptop,
(both in the office an
>remotely via VPN), so I'm not sure
forcing them into the whole Win Domain
>thing is good