Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

On 23/09/11 20:41, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

Multiple network cards in the servers? :-)

No. Multiple LANs off multiple routers. Isolated from each other for
various good (or bad) reasons. That means that the network browser isn't
going to find all the servers - so if they have to type in the name/ip
of the server, then so be it.

I seem to remember that if you setup Samba as a WINS server and point the machines on the LAN to each WINS server (one for each network) then this will get around it. Never could entirely get my head around WINS though.

Ahh yeah I had something similar when I was supporting the small local
radio stations, they just let presenters bring their laptops in, no
checking on if any of the stuff was legal or had up to date
anti-virus/security updates.

Well, yes, anti-virus. Bah.

Well there is Microsoft Security Essentials, free for both commercial and non-commercial use. Not too bad too.

I guess you can always specify a more strict policy for them
connecting their machines. :-)

The idea is to make it easy for people, and for the most-part these are
quite technically orientated people, but there's a balance to be struck,
and of-course, what could possibly go wrong...

I'd have thought if they're more technically minded then they'll be a bit more clued up than your typical radio presenter (although don't get me wrong, some radio presenters I know are actually pretty well clued up) :-)

Rob